Happy Drain Flood Day
The weather forecast calls for rain this Black Friday, November 25 2022. I predict that this will also be the first Drain Flood Day of the rainy season here in Portland. "What is Drain Flood Day?" you may ask. And I will tell you that it's the first day of heavy rains after all of the leaves have fallen and clogged every drain at every intersection in the town of Portland.
As you drive around town through flooded intersections and wade across streams that were once sidewalks, you can appreciate the full majesty of the event. Every year Drain Flood Day happens without warning. The entire populace is caught surprised, not having expected their clogged sewer grates would prohibit the evacuation of such a volume of water. And then you'll spot the lone individuals in their waders and raingear, diligently excising the leafy clogs with rakes shovels and other tools. Of course they're the true unsung heroes of Drain Flood Day, but I'm always so busy just trying to get out of the rain that I hardly ever notice them.
Comments
Post a Comment